Sunday, April 17, 2011

Re; Why Getting Ghana Wrong IS a Problem

Apparently my post about the youth of Ghana has received some replies which I deem respectful to address. Kobby wrote a nice post as a response  and raised some interesting points.

First of all Kobby, when I say 8 out of 10, you are right it's not based on any formal survey. I did not take pen and paper to go round to count the number of people to arrive at the figure. Neither did I state categorically that that is a fact that cannot be contested. I made that statement based on my observations of the boys who patronize internet cafe services in places like Dome, Taifa and Nima. 

You also went on to state how my view of journalism is flawed. Of course I am no journo as you know. And like Graham- your namesake Kobby- said, I have a very simplistic view of things. I was expecting to see that you'd touch on my very last paragraph, which would have explained to you why I personally did not take offense at the CNN article. Here's the quote

In as much as I'd like to see Africa portrayed in a positive light in the global media, I still have not seen any sustained and sensible effort in addressing the very issues that we so much would like the western media to not even touch on! Is that hypocrisy? Stupidity? Or irony? Your guess is as good as mine!

There is no doubt that the world is hyperconnected. And one bad thing that is written has some ominous way of affecting another person somewhere.  I have been asking some questions of my friends, on social media and my family for sometime and no one seems to have an answer for me. So perhaps you two Grahams (haha, coincidence?) might help me answer them.

1. A company like MTN Ghana, relies on the Electricity company of Ghana for its survival. Why does MTN Ghana make oodles of profits while the ECG keeps struggling year after year and always passes on its losses to you and I?

2. The revenue management aspect of Ghana Water Company is handled by another company. Why?

3. When I was growing up, I used to see this ad on TV about Ghana Airways, Your Star in the Sky. That company never had peace until its untimely death, to be replaced by Ghana International Airlines, which has also almost met a similar fate. Why?

4. A few years back we were promised a revamping of the educational sector. The result? Renaming Junior Secondary School to Junior High School and Senior Secondary School to Senior High School. Making the latter a four year cycle. My question here is what preparation was put in place to switch from three years to four years? Children had to go and make do in tents in school because we changed the years to four before thinking of how to put up structures to accommodate the extra students. Why?

Graham and Graham, you still might not be getting me so lemme elucidate my points now. Before we take on the western media on their negative reportage of this wonderful continent that has meals like Kenkey on it, let's ask ourselves what we're NOT doing to attract such negative reportage. In the four questions above, one theme keeps running- common sense.

Are we as a nation of 25+ million people saying we don't have competent people to be able to run those state institutions? Where do all the University of Ghana Business School graduates go? What are all the business graduates our universities churn out each year doing? Do we lack the brains so much that we always have to find ourselves making a laughing stock of us? If it is those university products that keep messing up, then there is something wrong with our higher educational institutions. Agree?

Now if CNN had come to report on the students who had to make do with tents in school, would we have any right to chastise CNN for reporting negatively about us? We all know the survival of every economy is based on power, how is ours like? Graham and Graham, I am not a fan of CNN or any western media for that matter. In fact, if both of you follow me on Twitter, you'll understand my aversion to those western media that are nothing but thinly veiled extensions of their governments.

Then again Graham and Graham, I Luqman Saeed, don't just see myself as a Ghanaian youth competing against my compatriots. NO! I see myself as a global citizen who is in competition with my contemporaries from across the world. And so I would not expect my American contemporary to be able to dazzle me in anyway whatsoever because I already am in competition with him and always try to be at par in terms of knowledge, use of technology and all that. IMHO, that is how we can get to market Africa to the world.

The youth of this continent should not see themselves as isolated. No. The world is now a hyper-connected village. The onus of marketing yourself and your part of the world lies with you. And no where in the history of mankind has the playing field be almost as leveled as it is now. How many of Ghana's youth blog regularly? How many of Ghana's youth tweet (sensible stuff) regularly? How many of Ghana's youth can market Ghana online? When I talk of youth, I mean those of us who are fortunate enough to be able to read, write and boot a computer.

I don't know if you get the import of my argument, but here it is in simple words: yes the CNN article contained some misrepresentations of Ghana. But do those misrepresentations warrant the disproportionate flogging the article has received? What I am saying is rather than waste time on that article, let us counter it with more matured and intelligent marketing of ourselves and our nation to the wider world. Let's use the resources available to us to tell the world that look, yes there are some of us who are engaged in fraud. Yes we have bad roads, yes we have a myriad of problems. But look at the high level of intellectual discussions we are bringing to bear in our bid to find solutions to those problems.

That IMHO is better than the time we are spending to chastise CNN, something that will have little to no impact on their editorial policies. Graham and Graham, I'm done. Thanks for your time taken to engage a rebel mouth like me. Very much appreciated. Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You probably disagree with me on this post, but please do so in a civilized and matured manner. Thanks